Thursday, December 6, 2012

First steps

Deciding to adopt was actually a pretty easy decision for us (strangely enough it took us longer to decide on the name of this blog). Then we looked at each other and said, now what? It was a bit overwhelming at first to even figure out where to start!

The first thing we were able to do was to complete one of our three required eight hour classes. Brian even restrained himself from complaining about missing a day of college football and a CSU football game that we had tickets too. I knew he was a keeper! The class was very interesting and talked about everything from what to expect during the adoption process to what to expect day one when you get your child to how to talk to your child about adoption. It really helps that the ladies that run the class have both adopted internationally so they could give great insight. Brian and I left with our heads spinning and lots to talk about, but we are excited for the next two classes to see what else we can learn. As first time parents we have no idea what to expect, so we will take all the help we can get!

The week of Thanksgiving we took advantage of an afternoon off work to go to the police station to get fingerprinted. I don’t think I have ever said the words “See you at the police station!” to Brian and let’s hope it’s the last time! The process was easy and we learned that I have sweaty fingers (I don't care who you are, it's not normal to be in a police station getting your fingerprints done and not be nervous!) and Brian’s got great prints. Let’s just hope the state of Colorado deems them good enough so we don’t have to do that again!

So far so good, it's nice to get a few things checked off the list! Speaking of that list, I'll fill you in next post as to what the wonderful world of adoption paperwork is like! Here's a hint, after getting all the background checks and Homeland security clearances, Brian may actually qualify for a job with the FBI. I'm sure they need graphic designers, right?

4 comments:

  1. My fingers are sweating just thinking about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Brian was totally calm and I kept feeling like they were going to arrest me at any second for being nervous!

      Delete
  2. I get so excited just thinking about you being a mama!
    P.S. the people at your adoption agency are dear, they were very calming when I started freaking out about having my paperwork in late. Apparently the deadline is more of suggestion, not a make or break situation =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You're so cute, I'm glad they were nice to you!

      Delete